|Home | The Buchanites | The CCI | The Village Hall | The Millenium Book | Contact Us | Links|
The Handover to the CCI
In 1922 the Press reported that the old school in Crocketford had been sold to the village for the princely sum of £1 ! It was entrusted to a group of Trustees and became known as the Anderson Memorial Hall, in memory of Alexander Anderson , the poet who wrote under the pseudonym “Surfaceman” and who had been a pupil at the school in the 1850’s.
In 1952, following the major refurbishment of the Hall at the instigation of the Trustees, at a cost of £2000, the Press reported on the grand re-opening night.
A new chapter in the life of the Hall began on Tuesday April 4th when the Trustees handed it over to the Crocketford Community Initiative (CCI) a charitable company formed to take responsibility for the now somewhat dilapidated building and to raise the money needed for further renovation. Would that £2000 were enough to complete the task today !
Chairman of the CCI, George Rutherford, welcomed Trustees, directors of the company and residents of Crocketford to the celebration and outlined the short history of the new company and the reasons for its formation. He was able to give the good news that a grant of just over £6000 had been made by D&G council to defray the costs already incurred in stage 1 of the refurbishment, the drawing up of plans and estimates for work involves.Further grant applications are looking positive and it is hoped that the work will begin in the not too distant future.
The Chairman thanked the Trustees for their dedicated work over the years, also the staff of SCVS for their invaluable help in the legal processes and Councillor George Prentice for his support and encouragement throughout. Councillor Prentice, though unable to be present, had sent his good wishes for the future.
Certificates of Appreciation were presented to the three Trustees who were present – Mrs. Margaret Binks, Mr.Jimmy Gemmell and Mrs Beth Lamont. Unfortunately the fourth, Mr George Barbour, was unable to attend. A beautiful commemorative cake, made by Mrs Kathy Hamilton and decorated with a view of Crocketford, was ceremoniously cut by Mrs. Binks and Mr. Rutherford, and along with glasses of wine was enjoyed by everyone. It is hoped that this new chapter in the life of this 180 year old building will end with a community hall for the people of Crocketford to be proud of and enjoy for many years to come.
Site produced by Richard Hopkins